A stellar julep with the standard build, but the split base ups the complexity, and if you want to go up another level, opt for the coconut washed rye version!
¼ oz Demerara Gum Syrup
- 1 ½ oz rye whiskey (optional coconut washed*)
- ½ oz aged rum
- 4-5 mint leaves
- Muddle mint and syrup in a glass
- Add spirits and crushed ice - stir
- Fill with more crushed ice and garnish
* For the coconut washed whiskey combine 1 cup of coconut oil with 750 ml of whiskey. Shake and leave at room temperature (avoid solidification of the coconut oil) for 24 hrs. Toss in the freezer until the oil has solidified on top. Remove this oil and filter whiskey through a coffee filter to clarify.